Many accountants and bookkeepers are not getting paid what they are worth. The results of the 2018 Intuit Average Billing Rate Survey (the Survey) can be eye opening and helps to know more about industry averages.
The Survey was conducted by myself (Michelle L Long, CPA) and Heather Satterley, EA with Intuit’s assistance including providing the awesome interactive results. We had over 1,000 accountants, bookkeepers, consultants, tax professionals, etc. who completed the survey this year. The survey asked questions about hourly billing rates, fixed fee rates, primary source of new clients, why clients are not on the cloud yet and more. Best of all, the Survey results can help you get paid what you are worth and increase your rates! For example, did you know:
- Average billing rates are higher for QuickBooks training/consulting, training and IT consulting compared to accounting/bookkeeping rates
- Certified ProAdvisors average billing rate is 20% higher than those who are not certified. Plus, Advanced Certified ProAdvisors average rate is another 24% increase for a total of 46% higher rates compared to those who are not certified. (All you need is to invest time to get Certified! The QuickBooks Online ProAdvisor Program, training, certification and more is all FREE! Details here: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/accountants/proadvisor/#compare
- Hourly billing has decreased 35% and value pricing has increased 56% since 2016.
- What is the average hourly rate for your state (results for most states in the U.S. and Canadian average rate)
- What is the average rate by designation (bookkeeper, accountant, CPA, Certified Bookkeeper, EA and more)
- And more!
Take a few minutes and check out the survey results! The results are provided and discussed in several different sources:
- Interactive tool — really cool graphics and allows you to drill down on many results.
- Articles — with insights and comments plus some results that are not provided in the interactive tool.
- QB Power Hour recording with discussion and comments about many of the results: https://youtu.be/QoKAPIPDYXc
I hope the Survey results help you with setting and increasing your own billing rates! Remember, the results are averages.
To your success!
Michelle L. Long