Keyboard shortcuts can be a time saver when you are working in QuickBooks so I’m happy to share keyboard shortcuts for QuickBooks Online (QBO). Plus, you can use my One Click Trick in QuickBooks Online to create your own ‘icon bar’ to access things you use most frequently with just one click. The keyboard shortcuts will work in Chrome or Firefox.
The QBO keyboard shortcuts do not work in Internet Explorer (IE) (at this time). There are quite a few things in QBO that do not work correctly with IE 11 so you should not use IE for QuickBooks Online.
I recommend using Chrome with QuickBooks Online so you can set up a QBO user in Chrome. This allows you to use my One Click Trick and clear the cache and cookies without affecting your other browsing. I explain and show you how to do these things in this quick video:
Keyboard Shortcuts for QuickBooks Online
In Chrome or Firefox:
- Ctrl+Alt+I = Invoice
- Ctrl+Alt+W = Write Checks
- Ctrl+Alt+X = Expense
- Ctrl+Alt+R = Receive Payment
- Ctrl+Alt+E = Estimate
- Ctrl+Alt+L = Lists
- Ctrl+Alt+A = Accounts
- Ctrl+Alt+C = Customers
- Ctrl+Alt+V = Vendors
- Ctrl+Alt+F = Search transactions
- Ctrl+Alt+H = Help
On Transaction Pages (Invoice, expense, etc.)
- Ctrl+Alt+D = Save & Close
- Ctrl+Alt+S = Save & New
- Ctrl+alt+M = Save & Send
- Ctrl+Alt+X = Exit transaction
- Ctrl+Alt+C = Cancel
- Calculate — in an amount or quantity field, type in the calculation and hit tab. For example for 2 * 5 = 10, type in 2*5 and hit tab and the result of 10 will be calculated and entered in the field.
- Today –> T
- YeaR –> Y = beginning of year R = end of year
- MontH –> M = beginning of month H = end of month
- WeeK –> W = beginning of week K = end of week
- + or – –> forward or back quickly
Zoom Display (make it larger or smaller):
- Ctrl+ or Ctrl- (plus or minus or hold Control and scroll up or down with your mouse to zoom in or out)
Michelle Long’s One Click Trick
You can create your own one click “icon bar” in QuickBooks Online for the things that you use most frequently. I explain how to create it in this quick video.
Using this one click trick will help save you lots of time navigating in QuickBooks Online. Best of all, if you have more than one company, it will work in all the QBO companies. However, for an account register (like the check register), the account numbers should be the same in each company.
If you need a quick Intro to the new QuickBooks Online and Basic Navigation (i.e. where to find things), watch this quick video.
What do you think? Do you have other tips to share?